What is Diabetes
A lifelong disease that causes high blood sugar-level, as it affects the way the body converts food into energy.
A Widespread Problem
As many as 425 million people around the globe have diabetes
Approximately one-third of all people with diabetes do not know they have the disease4
Types of Diabetes
There are two major type of diabetes, known as type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes5
Early diagnosis and proper management is the first step for living well with diabetes5
The Way Forward
The risk of developing type 2 diabetes can be drastically reduced with physical activity and a healthy diet5
Understanding Glucose and Insulin
Why Do You Need Insulin?
*This is for patient education purposes only. Please consult your doctor/healthcare practitioner before starting any diet, medication or exercise. References 1. Mayoclinic. Type 1 diabetes. Available from: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-1-diabetes/symptoms-causes/syc-20353011. Last revised: 7/8/2017. As accessed on: 19/6/2018.
The Food-To-Energy Conversion
Understanding The Food-To-Energy Conversion Process NORMAL PERSON DIABETIC PERSON STEP 1 Food eaten by you is turned into sugar (glucose) Food eaten by you is turned into sugar (glucose) STEP 2 Pancreas (an organ near the stomach) makes a hormone called insulin Pancreas (an organ near the stomach) does not make sufficient insulin or body … Continued
Videos from experts
Articles on Managing Diabetes
Safe Fasting With Diabetes
Periods of fasting are considered by a number of religions, but it is important to remember that fasting with diabetes requires careful management of your condition. The reasons and the durations of fasting can differ. It is best to fast only when you are assured that the fasting will not lead to any problems with … Continued
Travelling With Diabetes
There is no reason you have to avoid travelling if you have diabetes. You do not need to worry; it just takes a little planning ahead of time to manage your condition. With a few precautions, you can go anywhere and do almost anything. Here are some important do’s and don’ts to follow when you … Continued
Pack Smart To Rule Each Day
Don’t Let Diabetes Control Your Life. Pack Smart To Rule Each Day Imagine you’re heading out for the day. Now, ordinarily, one would’ve packed the usual suspects — the hairbrush, face wipes, loose change and credit cards. However, if you are a diabetic, getting ready for a day on-the-move needs a little bit more. You’ll … Continued
*This is for patient education purposes only. Please consult your doctor/healthcare practitioner before starting any diet, medication or exercise.
1. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Diabetes. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/media/presskits/aahd/diabetes.pdf. As accessed on: 19/6/2018.
2. Diabetes UK. Diabetes: The basics. Available from: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/diabetes-the-basics. As accessed on: 19/6/2018.
3. International Diabetes Federation. IDF Diabetes Atlas – 8th Edition. Available from: https://www.diabetesatlas.org/across-the-globe.html. As accessed on: 27/6/2018
4. Joslin Diabetes Center. Ten Things You Might Not Know About Diabetes. Available from: https://www.joslin.org/info/10_Things_You_Might_Not_Know_About_Diabetes.html. As accessed on: 19/6/2018.
5. World Health Organization. 10 facts on diabetes (2016). Available from: https://www.who.int/features/factfiles/diabetes/en/. As accessed on: 19/6/2018.